- the loading or unloading of a ship, or transportation of goods, by means of a lighter, or barge
- the charge for this
- Transportation of goods on a lighter.
- The fee charged for lightering.
(countable and uncountable, plural lighterages)
- The fee paid for conveyance of goods on a lighter.
- The act of unloading into a lighter, or of conveying by a lighter.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster's Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
lighter +"Ž -age