The dinner menu is the least of my worries tonight. The least you can do is to be polite.
The least movement.
To reward those who least deserve it.
An example of least is one penny being the lowest value U.S. coin; the least amount of value.
An example of least is someone doing the smallest amount of work necessary; the least necessary.
It was the least surprising thing.
- According to the lowest possible assessment; not less than:.We waited at least an hour.
- Regardless of what has occurred or will occur; in any case:.You might at least answer the letter.
- Used to emphasize a somewhat positive aspect following a negative one:.The results weren't encouraging, but at least they were accurate.
- At all:.I don't mind in the least.
- Particularly not:.Nobody cared, least of all the manager.
- At the very lowest figure or amount; with no less.
- At any rate; in any event; anyhow.
- Not at all.
Origin of least
- Middle English from Old English lǣst leis-2 in Indo-European roots
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition