- a room, building, etc. for scientific experimentation or research
- a place for preparing chemicals, drugs, etc.
- a place where theories, techniques, and methods, as in education or social studies, are tested, analyzed, demonstrated, etc.
- a room, often containing special equipment and materials, in which students work to enhance skills, remedy deficiencies, etc. in a particular subject, as a foreign language
- a class period during which students perform experiments or work in a laboratory
Origin of laboratoryMedieval Latin laboratorium from Classical Latin laborare: see labor, intransitive verb