The largest city of South Africa, in the northeast part of the country northwest of Durban. Founded in 1886 after the discovery of gold nearby, it is a major industrial center.x
- That part of the plateau east of Johannesburg is from 5000 to 6400 ft.
- Speaking at Johannesburg on the eve of his departure, he recommended to all concerned the promotion of the material prosperity of the country and the treatment of Dutch and British on an absolute equality.
- North of Ladysmith on the direct line to Johannesburg, a branch railway goes N.E.
- The rise of Johannesburg and the opening up of the Dundee coal-fields, as well as the development of agriculture, now caused a rapid increase on both sides of the account.
- This edge is marked by ranges of hills such as the Witwatersrand, Witwatersberg and Magaliesberg; the Witwatersrand, which extends eastward to Johannesburg, forming the watershed between the rivers flowing to the Atlantic and Indian Ocean.