- sexual desire for those of the same sex as oneself
- sexual orientation that is entirely or predominantly directed toward those of the same sex
- Sexual orientation to persons of the same sex.
- Sexual activity with another of the same sex.
See also sex.homoeroticism 1. the tendency to obtain sexual gratification from a member of the same sex. 2. homosexual activity. —homoerotic, adj. homophobia fear of or apprension about homosexuality. lesbianism the practice of homosexual relations between women. Also called Sapphism. —lesbian, n., adj. tribadism a sexual activity between women that imitates heterosex-ual intercourse. —tribade, n. —tribadic, adj. uranianism Obsolete, homosexuality. uranism the practice of homosexuality between males. —uranist, n. uranophobia an abnormal fear of homosexuals and homosexuality. urningism male homosexuality. Also urnism. —urning, n.
(usually uncountable, plural homosexualities)
- The state of being sexually and romantically attracted primarily to persons of the same sex.
- Sexual activity with a person of the same sex.
Homosexuality in women is also known as lesbianism. As homosexuality applies to people of either sex, the expression homosexuality and lesbianism is redundant and is best replaced by homosexuality or lesbianism alone as appropriate. Different cultural constructions of same-sex love are collectively referred to as homosexualities.
homosexual +"Ž -ity.