Hmm is defined as a sound you make to express hesitation or when you are thinking about something or don't know exactly what to say.
An example of hmm is what you say when someone asks you a tough question and you pause for a second before answering.
hem: used to signify hesitation, a question, thoughtful consideration of another person's statement, etc.
(third-person singular simple present hmms, present participle hmming, simple past and past participle hmmed)
- (intransitive) To make a thoughtful humming noise.
- (computer science) hidden Markov model
- Hmm, that's really strange.
- Hmm, can I trust you upstairs?
- She mused, "Hmm, slumming it are we?"
- Hmm, there's that loyalty I saw in your palm.
- Hmm, maybe Skippy's got more brains than I give him credit for.