Origin of hiMiddle English hy, variant of hei, hey
A little girl says, "hi".
An example of "hi" is what you say when you see someone.
- high intensity
- humidity index
- Informal spelling of high, often hyphenated.
- Get hi-quality videos here!
- Next, set the burner to hi.
hi (no attested plural)
- "Hi" or similar greeting.
American English (first recorded reference is to speech of a Kansas Indian), originally to attract attention, probably a variant of Middle English hy, hey (circa 1475) also an exclamation to call attention.
- Hawaii, a state of the United States of America.