city in SW Germany, in the state of Baden-Württemberg: site of a famous university (founded 1386)
A city of southwest Germany on the Neckar River north-northwest of Stuttgart. First mentioned in the 1100s, it was the capital of the Palatinate until the early 1700s. Its university was established in 1386.x
- Gaining his freedom at the instance of Hungarian magnates, he visited Melanchthon at Wittenberg, and in 152 4 became professor of Greek at the university of Heidelberg, being in addition professor of Latin from 1526.
- He then entered the Dutch service, took part in the campaigns of 1815, and, after studying another year at Heidelberg, was member for Luxemburg of the military commission of the German federal diet (1824, 1825).
- Leaving the service after the war, he studied jurisprudence at Heidelberg, GÃ¶ttingen and Jena, and in 1819 went for a while to Geneva to complete his studies.
- Of Heidelberg and 55 m.
- Albrecht Ritschl studied at Bonn, Halle, Heidelberg and Tubingen.