A place where eggs, especially those of fish or poultry, are hatched.
- Of the city is a state fish hatchery, and there are fine trout streams in the neighbourhood.
- The New Hampshire State Fish Hatchery is in Laconia.
- For the protection and promotion of the lobster fishery the United States government has established a lobster hatchery at Boothbay Harbor; and the state legislature enacted a law in 1895 prohibiting the taking of lobsters less than 102 in.
- Monterey Bay has a remarkable variety of fish; and there is a large fish hatchery near the city.
- In fresh-water culture the eggs thus fertilized may be at once distributed to the waters to be stocked, or they may be kept in special receptacles provided with a suitable stream of water until the fry are hatched, and then distributed, or again they may be reared in the hatchery for several months until the fry are active and hardy.