- an intense fire over a large area, as one initiated by an atomic explosion, that is sustained and spread by inrushing winds created by a strong draft of rising hot air
- a strong, often violent, outburst, disturbance, or upheaval
- A fire of great size and intensity that generates and is fed by strong inrushing winds from all sides: the firestorm that leveled Hiroshima after the atomic blast.
- An intense or violent response: “The discovery that your child has a learning disorder can set off a firestorm of emotions” ( Judith Harkness Richardson )
- A fire whose intensity is greatly increased by inrushing winds.
- An intense or violent response.