- an impression of the lines and whorls on the inner surface of the end joint of the finger, used as by the police in the identification of a person
- any characteristic or set of characteristics that distinguishes or unambiguously identifies a person or thing; signature
An image of a fngerprint.
The definition of a fingerprint is the mark made on the surface of something by the curves and indentations of the finger tips.
Types of Fingerprints
- Latent - When a person touches some sort of object, some of the moisture from their hand is deposited onto that object.
- Plastic - If an individual touches materials such as clay, tar, or paint, their fingerprints will be retained in these substances.
- Patent - The person gets oil, blood, paint, and so forth on his or her hands. Once the hands touch some other sort of material, the fingerprint is translated onto that material.
An example of a fingerprint is the mark left on a glass used by someone after they have eaten greasy french fries.
- Fingerprint is defined as to capture an impression of the marks left by the raised curves of a person's finger tips.
An example of fingerprint is someone being arrested and having ink put on their finger tips and then pressed onto paper.
- a. A mark left on a surface by a person's fingertip.b. An image of the ridges on a person's fingertip made by putting ink on the fingertip and pressing it against a surface or by using a digital scanning device.
- A distinctive or identifying mark or characteristic: “We can, from his retelling [of the incident], with its particular fingerprint of stresses and omissions, learn a great deal about him” ( Mark Slouka )
- a. See DNA profile.b. A chemical fingerprint.
transitive verbfin·ger·print·ed, fin·ger·print·ing, fin·ger·prints
(third-person singular simple present fingerprints, present participle fingerprinting, simple past and past participle fingerprinted)
- To take somebody's fingerprints.
- The jail staff fingerprints its 'guests' routinely
fingerprint - Computer Definition
fingerprint - Medical Definition
- A mark left on a surface by a person's fingertip.
- An image of the ridges on a person's fingertip made by putting ink on the fingertip and pressing it against a surface or by using a digital scanning device.
See DNA profile
- A chemical fingerprint.
- Once ID and payment information are input to the scanning processor, fingerprint pictures are discarded.
- Along with the submission of the application, prospective brokers must agree to a fingerprint test to conduct a criminal background search.
- A computerized system has been developed based on Tanner and Whitehouse's model, which uses pattern recognition like fingerprint databases.
- Brinks Digital Fingerprint Fire Safe 5084DB: This safe is larger than the 5017 model and can hold documents as well as various valuables.
- Physical examination of the infant may show arched type fingerprint patterns, while x rays may reveal a short breast bone (sternum).