- When a government has the power and control to make other governments comply with its demands, this is an example of dominance.
- If brown eyes always show up whenever you have the brown-eyed gene, even if you also have a blue-eyed gene or a green-eyed gene, this is an example of the dominance of the brown-eyed gene.
Dominance is defined as to have control or authority over others.
The condition or fact of being dominant.
- The state of being dominant; of prime importance; supremacy.
- Being in a position of power, authority or ascendancy over others.
- (physiology) The superior development of or preference for one side of the body or one of a pair of organs; such as being right-handed.
- (biology, genetics) The property of a gene such that it suppresses the expression of its allele.
From dominant + -ance.
- His ego and sense of dominance over her wouldn't let him allow her to be the one walking away.
- From Paris and the dominance of the National Assembly.
- Such ruthless habits of the bee-commonwealth, no less than the altruistic labours of the workers, are adapted for the survival and dominance of the species.
- The subject was practically dormant for nearly a century and a half, largely owing to the dominance of classificatory botany under the in.fluen.ce of Linnaeus.
- His establishment of the northern confederacy was a reversion to the traditional policy of Prussia in opposition to Austria, which, after the emperor Nicholas had crushed the insurrection in Hungary, was once more free to assert her claims to dominance in Germany.