- any of several trees whose wood is very light; specif.,
- the only species (Leitneria floridana) of a family (Leitneriaceae, order Leitneriales) of dicotyledonous shrubs or small trees found in swampy regions of the SE U.S.
- the balsa
- the wood of any of these trees
- Any of various trees having soft lightweight wood, especially:a. A deciduous shrub or small tree (Leitneria floridana) native to wet regions of the southeast United States.b. See balsa.c. Any of certain Australian shrubs or small trees of the genus Duboisia having leaves used for the commercial extraction of belladonna alkaloids.
- The wood of any of these trees.