The definition of condescending is acting in a way that shows a superior attitude.
An example of condescending is a parent who speaks to her grown child as if he were still a toddler.
Displaying a patronizingly superior attitude: “Wall Street's usual condescending attitude toward small investors” ( Tom Petruno )
(comparative more condescending, superlative most condescending)
- Present participle of condescend.
- He read it with the same condescending tone with which it was written.
- Myrtle would say, "Bless your heart," to people in the most condescending way possible.
- Your condescending tone is making me feel patronized and insulted.
- The French have a reputation of being condescending with Americans, but I found them to be warm and welcoming.
- Bob's mansplaining and condescending attitude frustrated Natalie since she was the far more experienced engineer.