- A yard adjacent to a church, especially a cemetery.
- The ground on which a church stands.
- A patch of land adjoining a church, often used as a graveyard.
- In the churchyard is the grave of William Burness, the poet's father.
- On his return he held memorable services in the churchyard at Epworth.
- In the churchyard the graves are buttressed, storms being frequent and violent on this unprotected coast.
- The Anglican church of St Collen, Norman and Early English, has a monument in the churchyard to the "Ladies of Llangollen," Lady Eleanor Butler and Hon.
- Remains of the wall are seen in the churchyard, and the West Gate still stands in the main street.