Origin of calamariItalian from Classical Latin calamarius: see calamary
Squid prepared as food.
Origin of calamariItalian pl. of calamaro from Late Latin calamārium pen-case from Latin calamārius relating to a reed pen from calamus reed pen (perhaps from the “ink” the squid secretes) ; see calamus .
- Epicurious offers a lovely Feast of the Seven Fishes menu, which includes calamari, cod, and mussels.
- LEGO fans voted on the Home One Mon Calamari Star Cruiser to celebrate ten years of LEGO Star Wars.
- Signature dishes include the traditional zuppa di pesce with shrimp, clams, calamari, mussels and monkfish in a tomato, garlic and white wine broth.
- Selections range from a baked antipasto platter that includes baked clams, fried calamari, fried zucchini and other toothsome tidbits to Sacchetti Tartufi (pasta pockets stuffed with wild mushrooms).
- The Toshi Japanese Restaurant features menu items including everything from beef negimaki to agedashidofu, ika maru, hamachi kama and spicy calamari salad.