a device for absorbing some of the shock of a collision; specif., either of two bars for this purpose, at the front and rear of a motor vehicle
- a cup or glass filled to the brim
- Informal anything unusually large of its kind
Origin of bumperprobably from obsolete bombard, liquor jug, altered after bump
unusually large or abundant
- A usually metal or rubber bar attached to either end of a motor vehicle, such as a truck or car, to absorb impact in a collision.
- A protective device for absorbing shocks or impeding contact.
- A drinking vessel filled to the brim.
- Something extraordinarily large.
Extraordinarily abundant or full: a bumper crop of corn.
Origin of bumperPerhaps from bump
- 1859, Dickens, A tale of two cities, chapter 11
- Sydney Carton drank the punch at a great rate; drank it by bumpers, looking at his friend.
- (colloquial) Anything large or successful (now usually attributively).
- (automotive) Parts at the front and back of a vehicle which are meant to absorb the impact of a collision; fender
- Any mechanical device used to absorb an impact, soften a collision, or protect against impact
- Someone or something that bumps.
- (cricket) A bouncer.
- (billiards) A side wall of a pool table.
- (broadcasting) A short ditty or jingle used to separate a show from the advertisements.
- (slang, dated) A covered house at a theatre, etc., in honour of some favourite performer.
From bump + -er.
- To prevent suffocation and reduce the likelihood of SIDS, remove all soft, loose and fluffy bedding from the baby's sleep area -- this includes pillows, quilts, comforters, bumper pads, sheepskins, stuffed toys and other soft products.
- In addition to these extreme water rides, younger guests can also enjoy aquatastic attractions at Cedar Point with Sir Rub-a-Dub's Tubs in Kiddie Kingdom on the Main Midway and the Bumper Boats ride near the Gemini roller coaster.
- Two tremendous wave pools, bumper boats, a relaxing endless river, the Adventure River with geysers, waterfalls, and waves, and the Flash Flood flume boat ride with wavefront bridge are just a few of the fun watery options.
- So, you have every knick-knack, pennant, jersey, jacket and maybe even a bumper sticker or two making it clear that you are an Ohio State fan and are looking for an Ohio State Buckeyes bath robe to add to your collection?
- Though children's catalogues boast crib setups that feature mounds of stuffed animals, blankets, and bumper pads, such objects can interfere with your child's breathing and the amount of available oxygen.