- a business involved in selling, chiefly by telephone solicitation, that uses high-pressure sales tactics, fraudulent claims, etc.
- Brit. an unlicensed travel agency which sells discounted airline tickets
bucket shopbucket shop
- A fraudulent brokerage operation in which orders to buy and sell are accepted but no executions take place. Instead, the operators expect to profit when customers close out their positions at a loss.
- A business, such as a travel agency, that buys unsold tickets and resells them at a discount.
Origin of bucket shopFrom bucket shop a saloon selling small amounts of liquor in buckets, from its resemblance to the forerunner of such brokerage operations, which dealt in small units of stocks and commodities
(plural bucket shops)
- (pejorative, finance) A stockbroking firm which sells stock to clients when it has an undisclosed relationship with that company or its owners.
- (travel, dated) a travel agency selling discounted airfares, usually in defiance of existing minimum fare arrangements. Now usually refers to any small cheap agency.
- (law) a legal services firm selling heavily discounted legal services and documents made in large volume from boilerplate text and clauses, sometimes as a white labelled loss leader
(Law / Finance) Traditionally understood as pejorative and with implications of fraud.