1791-1868; 15th president of the U.S. (1857-61)
- When at Falta he had married Mrs Buchanan, the widow of an officer.
- Buchanan, United States minister at Buenos Aires, serving as arbitrator, reached a decision on the Atacama line north of 26° 52' 45" S.
- Long., Monaco Deep and Chun Deep off the north-west of Africa, Moseley Deep off the Cape Verde Islands, Krech Deep off the Liberian coast, and Buchanan Deep off the mouth of the Congo.
- Buchanan (1721); Sir James Melville's Memoirs (Bannatyne Club, 1827); A Lost Chapter in the Hist.
- And Heb.) as well as Buchanan Gray's instructive note in Numbers, p. 276.