- 1685-1753; Ir. philosopher & bishop
- 1606-77; Brit. colonial governor of Virginia (1641-52; 1660-76)
city in W Calif., on San Francisco Bay, just north of Oakland
Origin of Berkeleyafter George Berkeley1proper name
A city of northern California on San Francisco Bay north of Oakland. A branch of the University of California is here (established 1868).x
- A species, described by Berkeley and Broome as distinct from both the pasture mushroom and horse mushroom, has been published under the name of A.
- An excellent glass sand is procured from crushed sandstone near Berkeley Springs, Morgan county.
- John Van Metre, an Indian trader, penetrated into the northern portion in 1725, and Morgan ap Morgan, a Welshman, built a cabin in the present Berkeley county in 1727.
- Berkeley and Jefferson counties lying on the Potomac east of the mountains, in 1863, with the consent of the " Reorganized " government of Virginia voted in favour of annexation to West Virginia.
- It contains a few handsome monuments to its former bishops, but until 1890, when a monument was erected, had nothing to preserve the memory of the illustrious Dr George Berkeley, who held the see from 1734 to 1753.