Origin of Alcatrazafter Spanish Isla de Alcatraces, Island of Pelicans
A rocky island of northern California in San Francisco Bay. It was a military prison from 1859 to 1933 and a federal prison until 1963. It is now a tourist attraction. The island has long been known as “the Rock.”
- The Powell-Hyde cable car goes right by the hotel, right past Chinatown, over Nob Hill, past Lombard_Street - "the crookedist street" - and on to Fisherman's Wharf where boats depart for Sausalito, Tiburon and Alcatraz Island.
- The list includes: Al "Scarface" Capone, George "Machine Gun" Kelly, Doc Barker (eldest son of Ma Barker), Robert "The Birdman of Alcatraz" Stroud, Floyd Hamilton (Bonnie and Clyde gang), and Alvin "the Creepy" Karpis.
- Make reservations online today for a popular one-day and two-day Alcatraz tour combination, including those in which you get to see such popular attractions as Muir Woods and the San Francisco waterfront.
- You could also happen upon a chapel tour, a in-depth hospital tour, a cell door demonstration, a talk about the life of an Alcatraz guard, a tour of the catwalks overlooking the recreation yard and more.
- The night tour, like other Alcatraz Island tours, includes both a full guided portion and a self guided portion in which visitors learn more about the island's history and its famous past residents.