- paper, usually with colored patterns printed on it, that is pasted to the walls or ceiling of a room as a covering
- a picture or colored pattern appearing as the background to the icons of a GUI screen display
- Paper often colored and printed with designs and pasted to a wall as a decorative covering.
- A picture or design displayed on the background of a computer screen or cell phone.
verbwall·pa·pered, wall·pa·per·ing, wall·pa·pers
(countable and uncountable, plural wallpapers)
- (uncountable) Decorative paper-like material used to cover the inner walls of buildings.
- (countable) A style or design of such material or image.
- He is letting her select the wallpapers for the whole house.
- (computing, Microsoft Windows) An image or tiled pattern used as a background to personalize a computer desktop.
(third-person singular simple present wallpapers, present participle wallpapering, simple past and past participle wallpapered)
- To cover (a wall, a room, etc) with wallpaper.
wallpaper - Computer Definition
A pattern or picture used to represent the desktop surface (screen background) in a graphical user interface (GUI). Although many wallpaper options come with each operating system, third-party wallpaper files are also available, and any digital image can also be used as wallpaper. Many cellphones allow custom wallpapers for their screen backgrounds. Live Wallpaper Live wallpaper displays some moving object or continuous scene change for people who like the glitz of animation. However, in a portable device, live wallpaper is a battery drain. Why Cover a Desktop with Wallpaper? Years ago, someone who had too many sleepless nights programming must have thought it a great analogy because a screen desktop is vertical like a wall. With Windows XP, Microsoft decided to end the mystery and just call it "Background." However, background images are stored in the "Wallpaper" folder (c:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper).
- It may seem like a small matter, but if a co-worker takes issue with your wallpaper and raises the matter with your supervisor or the Human Resources department, you may find that you've bitten off more than you're willing to chew.
- In addition to Sarah Jessica Parker, Kim Cattrall, Kristin Davis, and Cynthia Nixon, actors Chris Noth, David Eigenberg, Evan Handler and Jason Lewis, who play the ladies' love interests, are also included as part of the wallpaper options.
- Faux finishing is most often done on walls as part of painting to create the look of wallpaper, marble, antique finishes or some other design, but it can also be used on furniture like bookcases, tables and more.
- Any picture that you can download can be turned into wallpaper, so if there is something specific you want, such as one of the iconic Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition pictures, you can more than likely create it as a screensaver.
- However, when cell phone owners cannot find a wallpaper that they like or they get bored with the "stock" wallpaper that comes with their phones, they start to wonder where to find cell phone wallpaper that they will like better.