- all the parts considered as a whole; total effect
- a whole costume, esp. one of matching or complementary articles of dress
- a company of actors, dancers, etc., or all but the featured stars
- their performance together
- a small group of musicians playing or singing together
- the instruments or voices constituting such a group
- the performance together of such a group, or of all the members of an orchestra, chorus, etc.
Origin of ensembleFrench from OFr, together from Classical Latin insimul, at the same time from in-, in + simul, at the same time: see same