Behavior that gets you further away from a goal you are trying to reach instead of closer to that goal is an example of counterproductive behavior.
(comparative more counterproductive, superlative most counterproductive)
counter- + productive
- Still others say fasting is counterproductive, because you're starving your body and your body's natural reaction after the fast will be to gain weight as quickly as possible.
- If you're feeling overwhelmed by stacks of photos that have yet to make it into your albums, the thought of creating a layout with just one photo may seem counterproductive.
- If you answered yes to any of the questions for counterproductive anxiety in exam taking, stress management techniques and tips may help you reduce your nervousness so you are able to competently take the test.
- Plucking and waxing may seem like more effective methods than shaving or depilatory creams when it comes to embarrassing facial hair, but the long term results can be highly counterproductive.
- It might seem counterproductive to eat more often, but there's a lot of evidence out there that suggests those who eat smaller meals frequently throughout the day may be able to better control their cholesterol.