- a horse used for working, as for pulling a plow
- a steady, responsible worker who assumes a heavy workload
- a machine, vehicle, etc. that proves to be durable and dependable
- Something, such as a machine, that performs dependably under heavy or prolonged use: “the 50-year-old DC-3 &ellipsis; one of aviation's most effective workhorses” (Christian Science Monitor).
- A horse that is used for labor rather than for racing or riding.
- Informal A person who works tirelessly, especially at difficult or time-consuming tasks.
- A horse used primarily for manual labor; a draft horse
- (by extension) Anyone or anything that does a lot of work; something or someone who works consistently or regularly.
- Those old machines are not very glamorous, but even 20 years after their introduction, they are still the workhorses of the industry.