Whereas is defined as a way to contrast or compare.
An example of whereas is when you compare a person who is nice to a person who is mean.
- it being the case that; in view of the fact that: used in the preamble to a formal document: whereas the following incidents have occurred
- while on the contrary; but on the other hand: she is careful, whereas he takes risks
a statement beginning with “whereas”
- It being the fact that; inasmuch as.
- While at the same time.
- While on the contrary.
- An introductory statement to a formal document; a preamble.
- A conditional statement.
- (obsolete) Where (that).
- Whereas is used in the second sense principally in legal documents, formal resolutions of corporate bodies, and the like.
- A clause, as in legal documents, stating whereas.