- An example of Webster is the last name of the head coach for the New York Giants from 1969 to 1973.
- An example of Webster is the author of the American Dictionary of the English Language, published in 1828.
Webster is a male name, common last name, or a dictionary published in the United States by Noah Webster.
Obs. a weaver
Origin of websterMiddle English ; from Old English webbestre, feminine of webba, weaver ; from Old English ; from webb: see web and amp; -ster
a masculine name
Origin of Webstersee webster
- any of the dictionaries succeeding or adapted from that dictionary first published in the U.S. by Noah Webster in 1828
- Informal any American dictionary of the English languagealso Web′ster's
A weaver of cloth.
Origin of websterMiddle English, from Old English webbestre, feminine of webba, weaver, from webb, web; see webh- in Indo-European roots.
- (now historical) A weaver (originally, specifically female).