- a board or frame with a ridged surface of metal, glass, etc., used for scrubbing dirt out of clothes or as a percussion instrument in a jug band
- the worn surface of a paved road resembling this
- Naut. a thin, broad plank fastened along the gunwale of a boat or on the sill of a lower deck port to keep out the sea and spray
See washboard in American Heritage Dictionary 4
a. A board having a corrugated surface on which clothes can be rubbed in the process of laundering.
b. Music A similar board used as a percussion instrument.
- A board fastened to a wall at the floor; a baseboard.
- Nautical A thin plank fastened to the side of a boat or to the sill of a port to keep out the sea and the spray.
Learn more about washboard