- a board or frame with a ridged surface of metal, glass, etc., used for scrubbing dirt out of clothes: also used as a percussion instrument, as in a jug band
- the worn surface of a paved road resembling this
- Naut. a thin, broad plank fastened around the cockpit of a boat, on the sill of a companionway entrance, etc. to keep out the sea and spray
- a. A board having a corrugated surface on which clothes can be rubbed in the process of laundering.b. Music A similar board used as a percussion instrument.
- A board fastened to a wall at the floor; a baseboard.
- Nautical A thin plank fastened to the side of a boat or to the sill of a port to keep out the sea and the spray.
Having rows of ridges or indentations similar to those of a washboard: washboard abs; a washboard dirt road.
- a board with a corrugated surface against which laundry may be rubbed
- (music) such a board used as a simple percussion instrument
- (nautical) a board fastened along a ship's gunwale to prevent splashing; a splashboard
- A stretch of ripples or bumps on a dirt or gravel road, mostly occurring at corners; which is caused by wear from traffic, erosion from wet weather, or poor grading.
- Whether your goal is to obtain completely flat abs by losing the layer of fat, or if you're really looking for killer washboard abs, you can reach either goal by exercising your abs regularly and obtaining a healthy body weight.
- Bottom line: don't pounce on a cookie-cutter recommendation out of a magazine just because some person with washboard abs recommends it -- read up on what's best for you or talk to a personal trainer.
- Daniel Craig: The James Bond actor captivated in a small blue pair of swim trunks on the beach, which accented his washboard abdominal muscles, his thick legs, and general attractiveness.
- It's one of the many ab-targeted exercise machines that can help you get that washboard stomach, but with the added bonus of watching your favorite television program at the same time.
- Training the ab muscles is greatly beneficial, not least for health reasons, but if your goal is visible washboard abs you're going to have to do something to burn off bodyfat too.