- of or arising from the will
- Gram. expressing a wish or permission: said of a verb, mood, etc.
Origin of volitiveMedieval Latin volitivus from Classical Latin volo: see volition
- Of, relating to, or originating in the will.
- Expressing a wish or permission.
- (uncountable, linguistics) A verb form found in certain languages which indicates that a certain action is willed, although it may not be performed in fact.
- (linguistics) A specific volitive form of a verb.
From Medieval Latin volitivus (from volo (“want") + -ivus), a Scholastic translation of the Ancient Greek Î¸ÎµÎ»Î·Ï„Î¹ÎºÏŒÏ‚ (theletikos), from Î¸ÎÎ»Î·ÏƒÎ¹Ï‚ (thelesis, “a will, a willing")