- a small ornamental box or bottle with a perforated lid, used for holding aromatic vinegar, smelling salts, etc.
- a blend of vinegar, oil, herbs, etc. used as a salad dressing or as a saucealso called vinaigrette dressing (or sauce)
Origin of vinaigretteFrench from vinaigre, vinegar
- A cold sauce or dressing made of vinegar or lemon juice and oil, often flavored with finely chopped onions, herbs, and other seasonings.
- A small decorative bottle or container with a perforated top, used for holding an aromatic preparation such as smelling salts.
Origin of vinaigretteFrench from Old French diminutive of vinaigre vinegar ; see vinegar .
- A sauce, made of vinegar, oil, and other ingredients, used especially for cold meats, or as a salad dressing.
- a sort of Russian salad, originally using the French salad dressing.