- the main team that represents a university, college, or school in some competition, esp. an athletic one
- Brit., Informal university
Origin of varsitycontr. and altered from university
designating or of the varsity (noun) team or competition
- The principal team representing a university, college, or school in sports, games, or other competitions.
- Chiefly British A university.
Origin of varsityShortening and alteration of university
(countable and uncountable, plural varsities)
- Used attributively in the UK to describe a sports team representing a university or college, or a match involving such a team.
- Used attributively in the U.S. and Canada to describe a sports team made up of older high school or college students (generally the 3rd and 4th years of a 4-year program), as contrasted with the junior varsity team made up of 1st- and 2nd-year students.
Alteration of university