- of, connected with, or characterizing a variety
- constituting a distinct variety; specif., designating a wine that bears the name of the variety of grape from which it is made
Origin of varietalFrom variety
- A wine made primarily from or exclusively from a single variety of grape, which carries the name of that grape.
- The varietal Merlot has rich red color and a robust fruity taste. Cabernet Sauvignon is a varietal that descended from Cabernet Franc and Sauvignon Blanc.
- By extension, a coffee made primarily from or exclusively from a single variety of coffee bean.
From variety + -al.