An example of usury is an interest rate of 30%, when normal rates are at 15%.
- the act or practice of lending money at interest, now specif., at a rate of interest that is excessive or unlawfully high
- interest at such a high rate
Origin of usuryMiddle English usurie from Medieval Latin usuria from Classical Latin usura from usus: see use
- The practice of lending money and charging the borrower interest, especially at an exorbitant or illegally high rate.
- An excessive or illegally high rate of interest charged on borrowed money.
- Archaic Interest charged or paid on a loan.
Origin of usuryMiddle English from Medieval Latin ūsūria alteration of Latin ūsūra from ūsus use ; see usual .
(countable and uncountable, plural usuries)
usury - Investment & Finance Definition
Charging interest rates that are higher than the rate allowed under the law.
usury - Legal Definition
- Charging interest on borrowed money.
- The charging of an illegally high rate of return, typical of a loan shark.
- An illegally high interest rate.