- a blue or greenish-blue, hard mineral, hydrous copper aluminum phosphate, CuAl(PO)(OH)5HO, used as a gem
- the color of turquoise; greenish blue
Origin of turquoiseMiddle English turkeis ; from Middle French turqueise, feminine of Old French turqueis, Turkish (see Turk): origin, originally brought to western Europe through Turkey
- A blue to blue-green mineral of aluminum and copper, mainly CuAl6(PO4)4(OH)8·4H2O, prized as a gemstone in its polished blue form.
- A light to brilliant bluish green.
Origin of turquoiseMiddle English turkeis and French turquoise, both from Old French (pierre) turqueise, Turkish (stone), turquoise, feminine of turqueis, Turkish, from Turc, Turk; see Turk.
sterling silver and turquoise belt buckle
(comparative more turquoise, superlative most turquoise)
- Made of turquoise (the gemstone).
- Having a pale greenish-blue colour.
From Middle French turquoise, from Old French (pierre) turqueise (“Turkish (stone)"). The stone was originally brought to Europe from Turkestan.