- a platform of this kind for supporting a phonograph record being played; also, such a platform together with the tonearm, stylus, etc.
- a platform carrying track to turn a locomotive around
- a. The circular horizontal rotating platform of a phonograph on which the record is placed.b. A phonograph exclusive of amplifying circuitry and speakers.
- A circular horizontal rotating platform equipped with a railway track, used for turning locomotives, as in a roundhouse.
- A rotating platform or disk, such as a lazy Susan.
- the circular rotating platform of a record player or DJ console
- a similar device to be connected to the amplifier of a hi-fi system
- a circular rotating platform used for turning locomotives, cars or trucks
- a rotating platform designed for use by a car, either motorized or manually rotated, and usually installed in a driveway or in a garage floor
(third-person singular simple present turntables, present participle turntabling, simple past and past participle turntabled)
- To manipulate sound using turntables; to perform turntablism.
turntable - Computer Definition
A playback machine for vinyl phonograph records, which were a major music distribution medium throughout the 20th century. The turntable contains a rotating platter for the disc and an arm that holds a cartridge and needle (stylus). The needle is a diamond chip attached to a metal cantilever that causes a coil or magnet to move inside the cartridge as it bounces along the sound wave undulations "carved" in the V-shaped grooves of the vinyl. Records Degrade With Usage A major problem with vinyl records is the wearing of the inner surfaces of the groove by the needle. Over the years, an enormous amount of mechanical engineering went into the design of turntables and needles that would accurately track the grooves with as little pressure as possible. Still Made Analog turntables are still being made and used by people who have extensive vinyl record collections as well as by disc jockeys (DJs). See vinyl record, record player, LP, Laser Turntable, USB turntable and DJ turntable.