- The definition of truncated is cut short.
An example of truncated used as an adjective is the phrase a truncated shirt which means a shirt that has had its sleeves cut off.
truncated definition by Webster's New World
- cut short or appearing as if cut short
- cut off or replaced by a plane face: said of the angles or edges of a crystal or solid figure
- having its angles or edges cut off or replaced in this way: said of the crystal or solid figure
- having the vertex cut off by a plane that is not parallel to the base: said of a cone or pyramid
- truncate ( & )
truncated definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Having the apex cut off and replaced by a plane, especially one parallel to the base. Used of a cone or pyramid.
- a. Lacking one or more syllables, especially in the final foot; catalectic.b. Lacking an initial or final syllable. Used of a line of verse.
Variant of truncate
Origin: ; from Classical Latin truncatus, past participle of truncare, to cut off ; from truncus, a stem, trunk
- Biol. having a square, flattened, or broad end
- Zool. lacking a normal apex, as some snail shells
- truncation noun