- The definition of a tripod is a three-legged stand that supports a camera, telescope or other object that needs to be kept steady.
An example of a tripod it the three -egged stand that a camera man sets his camera on when he is taking pictures for graduation or weddings.
- a three-legged caldron, stool, table, etc.
- a three-legged support as for a camera or telescope, usually adjustable for height
Origin: L tripus (gen. tripodis) from Glassical Greek tripous from tri-, tri- plush pous, foot
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A three-legged object, such as a cauldron, stool, or table.
- An adjustable three-legged stand, as for supporting a transit or camera.
Origin: Latin tripūs, tripod-, from Greek tripous, three-footed : tri-, tri- + pous, foot; see -pod.
- tripˈo·dal adjective