- a line of verse containing three metrical feet
- verse consisting of trimeters
Origin of trimeterClassical Latin trimetrus ; from Classical Greek trimetros: see tri- and amp; meter
having three metrical feet
- a. Verse written in lines of three metrical feet.b. A single line of such verse.
- a. Classical quantitative verse consisting of three measures of two feet each, especially in iambic, trochaic, or anapestic meter.b. A single line of such verse.
Origin of trimeterLate Latin, from Latin trimetrus, from Greek trimetros : tri-, tri- + metron, measure; see meter1.
- tri·met′ric , tri·met′ri·cal