- a line of verse containing three metrical feet
- verse consisting of trimeters
Origin of trimeterClassical Latin trimetrus from Classical Greek trimetros: see tri- and meter
having three metrical feet
- a. Verse written in lines of three metrical feet.b. A single line of such verse.
- a. Classical quantitative verse consisting of three measures of two feet each, especially in iambic, trochaic, or anapestic meter.b. A single line of such verse.
Origin of trimeterLate Latin from Latin trimetrus from Greek trimetros tri- tri- metron measure ; see meter 1.
- tri·met′ric tri·met′ri·cal