- An example of tri as a prefix is a triathlon, which has three events.
- An example of tri as a prefix is triennial, meaning every three years.
Tri is defined as having three, or every third.
- having, combining, or involving three: triangle, trichromatic
- triply, in three ways or directions: triphibian
- three times, into three: trisect
- every three, every third: triennial, triweekly
- Chem. having three atoms, groups, or equivalents of (the thing specified): tribasic, tribromide
Origin of tri-from Fr, L, or Gr: French tri- from Classical Latin ( from tres, three) or Classical Greek ( from treis, three, tris, thrice)
- Three: trilobate.
- a. Occurring at intervals of three: trimonthly.b. Occurring three times during: triweekly.
Origin of tri-Middle English from LatinGreek; see trei- in Indo-European roots.
- Toxic Release Inventory