A man who believes he should have been born a woman is an example of someone who would be described as transgender.
- Identifying as or having undergone medical treatment to become a member of the opposite sex.
- Of or relating to transgender people.
(comparative more transgender, superlative most transgender)
- (narrowly, of a person) Having changed gender identity from male to female, or from female to male. (Compare transsexual.)
- (broadly, of a person) Not identifying with culturally conventional gender roles and categories of male or female; having changed gender identity from male to female or female to male, or identifying with elements of both, or having some other gender identity. (Compare transsexual, transvestite and genderqueer.)
(usually uncountable, plural transgenders)
- (now rare) Transgenderism; the state of being transgender. (Compare transsex.)
- (sometimes considered offensive) A transgender person.
- See the usage note at transsexual regarding the use of this type of word as a noun.
(third-person singular simple present transgenders, present participle transgendering, simple past and past participle transgendered)
From trans- +"Ž gender.
- There are several articles on the site about transgender issues, as well as links to other websites that do offer personals and dating connections for the transgendered community.
- The site seeks to cater to the entire transgender community, not preferring one segment of it over the other, as well as providing a supportive atmosphere where members can be comfortable with their gender and sexuality.
- The Arquette siblings - Patricia's choices are usually unflattering, Rosanna is often underdressed, the only thing that looks good on David's arm is Courtney Cox, and becoming transgender didn't help Alexis' look.
- The ABC News story stresses that Beatie as well as any transgender pregnant person should avoid taking testosterone during the pregnancy since the hormone can cause complications in female babies.
- GLAAD has spoken up on the news, congratulating Chastity on his brave decision on how going public with it helps by "…advancing discussions about fairness and equality for transgender people."