A man who believes he should have been born a woman is an example of someone who would be described as transgender.
- Identifying as or having undergone medical treatment to become a member of the opposite sex.
- Of or relating to transgender people.
(comparative more transgender, superlative most transgender)
- (narrowly, of a person) Having changed gender identity from male to female, or from female to male. (Compare transsexual.)
- (broadly, of a person) Not identifying with culturally conventional gender roles and categories of male or female; having changed gender identity from male to female or female to male, or identifying with elements of both, or having some other gender identity. (Compare transsexual, transvestite and genderqueer.)
(usually uncountable, plural transgenders)
- (now rare) Transgenderism; the state of being transgender. (Compare transsex.)
- (sometimes considered offensive) A transgender person.
- See the usage note at transsexual regarding the use of this type of word as a noun.
(third-person singular simple present transgenders, present participle transgendering, simple past and past participle transgendered)
From trans- +"Ž gender.