- Topple is defined as to fall over, or to overthrow.
- An example of topple is a tower of blocks falling over.
- An example of topple is a government leader being overthrown.
verbtop·pled, top·pling, top·ples
- To push or knock over: bumped into the table and toppled the lamp.
- To bring about the downfall, destruction, or ending of. See Synonyms at overthrow.
- To defeat, as in a contest: toppled the league leader.
To totter and fall: buildings that toppled in the earthquake.
Origin of toppleFrequentative of top1.
(third-person singular simple present topples, present participle toppling, simple past and past participle toppled)