- An example of topple is a tower of blocks falling over.
- An example of topple is a government leader being overthrown.
- to fall (over) because or as if top-heavy
- to lean forward as if on the point of falling; overbalance; totter
Origin of topple; from top, verb + -le
- to cause to topple; overturn
- to overthrow: to topple a monarch
verbtop·pled, top·pling, top·ples
- To push or knock over: bumped into the table and toppled the lamp.
- To bring about the downfall, destruction, or ending of. See Synonyms at overthrow.
- To defeat, as in a contest: toppled the league leader.
Origin of toppleFrequentative of top1.
(third-person singular simple present topples, present participle toppling, simple past and past participle toppled)