- Topple is defined as to fall over, or to overthrow.
- An example of topple is a tower of blocks falling over.
- An example of topple is a government leader being overthrown.
topple definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
intransitive verb toppled, toppling
- to fall (over) because or as if top-heavy
- to lean forward as if on the point of falling; overbalance; totter
Origin: ; from top, verb plush -le
- to cause to topple; overturn
- to overthrow: to topple a monarch
topple definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb top·pled, top·pling, top·ples verb, transitive
To push or throw over; overturn or overthrow. See Synonyms at overthrow.verb, intransitive
- To totter and fall.
- To lean over as if about to fall.
Origin: Frequentative of top1.