toboggan definition by Webster's New World
a long, narrow, flat sled without runners, made of thin boards curved back at the front end and often having side rails: often used for the sport of coasting down a prepared slope or chute
Origin: Canadian French tabagan, tobagan ; from an Algonquian language: compare Micmac topaĝan
- to coast, travel, etc. on a toboggan
- to decline rapidly: prices tobogganed
toboggan definition by American Heritage Dictionary
A long, narrow, runnerless sled constructed of thin boards curled upward at the front end.intransitive verb to·bog·ganed, to·bog·gan·ing, to·bog·gans
- To coast, ride, or travel on a toboggan.
- Slang To decline or fall rapidly: His good fortune has tobogganed.
Origin: Canadian French tobagan, from Micmac topaghan.
- to·bogˈgan·er, to·bogˈgan·ist noun