dogs - Ologies & -Isms Definition
See also animals.cynanthropy Psychiatry. a delusion in which a person believes himself to be a dog. cynologist a specialist in the care and breeding of dogs. cynology the branch of zoology that studies the dog, especially its natural history. cynomania an abnormal love of dogs. cynophobia an intense dread of dogs. mongrelism the state or quality of being a mixed breed. —mongrelization, n. —mongrely, adj. philocynism the love of dogs. Also called philocyny. —philocynic, n., adj. —philocynical, adj.
Variant of dog
- any of a large and varied group of domesticated canines (Canis familiaris) often kept as a house pet or used for hunting, guarding people or property, etc.
- any of various wild canines
- the male of a canine
- a mean, contemptible fellow
- a prairie dog, dogfish, or other animal thought to resemble a dog
Origin: < its orig. shape: cf. Fr chenetan andiron; firedog
- Informal a boy or man: lucky dog
- ☆ Slang feet
- hot dog (sense )
- an unattractive or unpopular person
- ☆ an unsatisfactory thing or unsuccessful venture
- Mech. any of several devices for holding or grappling
- a parhelion; sundog
- a fogdog
Origin: Middle English generalized inch(es) sense ; from late, rare Old English docga, dogga (usual hund: see hound) ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
- to follow, hunt, or track down doggedly
- ☆ to hold or secure with a mechanical dog
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.