Variant of thunder
- the sound that follows a flash of lightning, caused by the sudden heating and expansion of air by electrical discharge
- any loud, rumbling sound like this
- a threatening, menacing, or extremely vehement utterance
- Archaic a thunderbolt
Origin: ME thuner, thunder (with unhistoric -d-) < OE thunor, akin to Ger donner < IE base *(s)ten-, loud rustling, deep noise > ON Thorr, Thor, Gr stenein, to moan, L tonare, to thunder
- to produce thunder: usually in the impersonal construction [it is thundering]
- to make, or move with, a sound like thunder
- to make vehement speeches, denunciations, etc.
- to say in a thundering voice
- to strike, drive, etc. with the sound or violence of thunder
- thunderer noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.