Themselves is defined as a group of people or things.pronoun
An example of themselves used as a pronoun is in the sentence, "The students were unable to look at themselves after what they did."YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- as an intensifier: they saw it themselves
- as a reflexive: they hurt themselves
- with the meaning “their real, true, or normal selves” [they are not themselves today]: in this construction them functions as an adjective and selves as a noun; when they are separated, the form their is used [their own sweet selves]
Origin: Late (Northern) ME thaim selfe for ME hemselve(n) (see they) + -s, pl. suffix
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Those ones identical with them:a. Used reflexively as the direct or indirect object of a verb or as the object of a preposition: prepared themselves for the trip; gave themselves plenty of time; were left to themselves.b. Used for emphasis: The cooks themselves eat after all the guests have finished.c. Used in an absolute construction: Newcomers themselves, they knew few people at the party.
- Their normal or healthy condition: The members of the crew were themselves again after the crisis passed.