- The definition of a tenter is a frame to stretch cloth on for drying after it has been made so that it does not shrink.
An example of a tenter is a drying rack.
- Tenter is defined as to stretch clothing over something to dry.
An example of tenter is to stretch a damp shirt over a drying rack to avoid shrinkage as it drys.
- a frame on which cloth is stretched after having been milled, so as to dry evenly without shrinkingin full tenter frame
- Obs. a tenterhook
Origin of tenterMiddle English tentoure, altered (infl. by tent, tent) ; from Middle French tendëure ; from tendre, to stretch: see tend
Origin of tenterME tenteren
- A framework on which milled cloth is stretched for drying without shrinkage.
- Archaic A tenterhook.
transitive verbten·tered, ten·ter·ing, ten·ters
Origin of tenterMiddle English teyntur, tentour, probably ultimately from Latin tentōrium, shelter made of stretched skins, from tendere, to stretch; see tent1.
(third-person singular simple present tenters, present participle tentering, simple past and past participle tentered)
- To stretch cloth on such a framework.
- (intransitive) To admit extension; to be stretchable.