Variant of teleology
- the study of final causes
- the fact or quality of being directed toward a definite end or of having an ultimate purpose, esp. as attributed to natural processes
- a belief, as that of vitalism, that natural phenomena are determined not only by mechanical causes but by an overall design or purpose in nature
- the study of evidence for this belief
- Ethics the evaluation of conduct, as in utilitarianism, in relation to the end or ends it serves
Origin: ModL teleologia from Glassical Greek telos, teleos, an end (see telo-) plush -logia (see -logy)
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.