- The definition of tat is tacky or tasteless clothes or accessories.
Large pieces of tacky fake jewelry are an example of tat.
- Tat is defined as knotting or looping thread to make lace.
An example of tat is when you use a crochet hook and thread to make lace.
Origin of tat; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps tap
intr. & tr.v.tat·ted, tat·ting, tats
Origin of tatProbably back-formation from tatting.
- A gene in the AIDS virus that stimulates the host cell to replicate genetic components of the virus.
- The protein encoded by this gene that is a potent transactivator of viral replication.
Origin of tatt(rans)a(c)t(ivator) (gene).
or tatt Informal
transitive verbtat·ted, tat·ting, tats or tat·ted or tat·ting or tatts
(third-person singular simple present tats, present participle tatting, simple past and past participle tatted)
- (intransitive) To make (something by) tatting.
- (India, dated) A pony.