- a person of little importance; nonentity
- a weak argument or opposing view set up by a politician, debater, etc. so as to be able to attack it and gain an easy, showy victory
- a person used to disguise another's intentions, activities, etc.; blind
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A person who is set up as a cover or front for a questionable enterprise.
- An argument or opponent set up so as to be easily refuted or defeated.
- A bundle of straw made into the likeness of a man and often used as a scarecrow.
straw man - Business Definition
- A person who purchases an asset or undertakes some action for another person who wishes to remain anonymous. Also called front man.
- A weak or misleading argument that is offered so that it can easily be disproved to make a point or win an argument.
straw man - Cultural Definition
A made-up version of an opponent's argument that can easily be defeated. To accuse people of attacking a straw man is to suggest that they are avoiding worthier opponents and more valid criticisms of their own position: “His speech had emotional appeal, but it wasn't really convincing because he attacked a straw man rather than addressing the real issues.”